Re: vacating alley: why?
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 7 May 94 19:52:39 CST
On Fri, 6 May 94 22:03 CDT,
david sucher  <dsucher [at] cyberspace.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 May 1994, Fred H Olson WB0YQM wrote:
>>
>> There is timing problem associated with the alley.  Many of us feel
>> vacating the alley is a key item for the project and would be reluctant
>> to buy property on the block before we were assured that the alley was to
>> be closed.  On the other hand, until we own the properties the alley
>
>I'm curious as to why you wish to vacate the alley.
>Are you visualizing a full-block development? With a news in the middle
>where the alley once ran? I'm curious. I'm an advocate of alley, so to
>speak, and so I wonder why you want to close this one. Alleys are very useful.
>How else will you get the cars onto and off the site?
>
>David Sucher

   Compared to a driveway in front of each house, I prefer alleys also.
Our plan is to open up the center of the block to be open, common,
vehicle free space.  I imagine "open" in the sense of good views from
the houses but certainly not great expanses of grass to be maintained.
It would / might have playground equipment, sand box, garden space, picnic
tables, benches etc. A good place for kids and neighborhood interactions.
Our alternate plan for vehicle storage would be in one or two multi car
parking areas - possibly at either end of the alley.  The other function of
garages - storage of outdoor related items would be filled with
smaller storage buildings - probably between the houses.
BTW we dont anticipate the alley would actually be removed.  Just closed to
day to day traffic; tho presumably kept cleaner than inner city alleys
tend to be.

Fred