kitchen equipment
From: School of Mathematics, U of MN (depts5.math.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 12:15 CDT
Is it better to buy residential or commercial equipment (stoven, oven,
dishwasher) for the kitchen?

How many of each do we need for a group of 25 households?

My name is Monika Stumpf and I am (with Judy Baxter who has asked other
questions of you before) a member of Monterey CoHousing in Minneapolis.  We
are are now tackling the details of our common space, especially the
kitchen and dining area.  We have advocates for both types of equipment
among us and both groups have good arguments but also some questions
(initial cost vs. quality; is there a difference in quality or convenience
of use?).  I would love to hear from those who have made such decisions and
what they found out later when they started cooking and eating together.
(The reports on family style dining vs. buffet style dining was very
helpful.  I notice that in our group the first impulse tends to be "to do
the right thing", family style being "the right thing", without looking to
close at the consequences or being willing to put in the extra work.
Thanks for the input.)

Monika Stumpf
Monterey CoHousing, Minneapolis
dept [at] math.umn.edu