RE: kitchen equipment
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 13:30 CDT
Monika Stumpf  asked: Is it better to buy residential or commercial
equipment (stove, oven,
dishwasher) for the kitchen?

Sharingwood currently using a remodeled basement for our community
kitchen while we design and build our common house.  Our current
appliances, which are regular domestic stock serve on average 23 people.

Our planned commonhouse will use similar domestic equipment (we are
moving up to a gas stove but keeping the current dishwasher) for its
first phase.  As the second phase of our community is built (another 12
homes) we will upgrade to commercial dishwashing and are designing our
kitchen to easily upgrade.

The advantage for us for using regular domestic appliances is that we
got them all free.  Our current refrigerator for example is a nice side
by side unit but only holds limited leftovers.  Every Friday night is
leftover night and anything leftover after that gets composted.  We
intend to put just enough freezer and refrigerator capacity in the new
commonhouse to meet one weeks worth of storage.

We will upgrade our appliances when the dinner population reaches 40 or
so, which won't happen until the second phase of homes is built.

One note about planning.  Although having adequate facilities is
important, one thing I keep noticing about the current built
communities is that less than half actually eat group dinner.  So out
of 25 households you may only have 12 that actually eat dinner.  Given
this, and also based on our own community experiences we are planning
our kitchen and dining to comfortably accommodate 60 out of the 90
potential residents here.  Our guess is that we will actually only have
40 regular eaters.

I would be interested to learn what detracts people from joining in
community meals. In our community members choose to not participate in
group dinner because: (in order)  1. Prefer to eat with family  2.
General loud environment (too many people)     3. Prefer to eat at
different time   4. Dietary specialty can't be met  5. random personal
schedule  6. Cooking anxiety (if you eat regularly there is subtle
pressure to sign on to cook).  Of course most people have more than one reason.

One interesting dynamic that we have observed in ourselves is that
those who came from large family environments tend to enjoy community
dinner, those who came from small family environments tend to not
participate.