Re: food handling/partitioned dining rm
From: Hungerford, David (dghungerforducdavis.edu)
Date: Thu, 19 May 94 17:11 CDT
Personal to Gareth Fenley--I'll check and get back to you, maybe early next
week.

To Rob Sandelin re: is food contamination really a problem?

I think Robert Hartman expressed better than I the problem of multiple
pathways of exposure/infection.  Did you know, for instance, that people who
handle money for a living get more viral infections, on average, than the
population as a whole?  One problem that he didn't mention, however, is that
when you prepare a large volume of food, you tend to leave it out of the
refrigerator longer.  At home, you cut up one chicken; it takes five minutes.
 In cohousing, you cut up 12 chickens and it takes an hour (longer,
actually), and unless you're our registered dietician or otherwise extremely
conscientious about this sort of thing, you leave all the chicken out the
whole time.  Also, the number of times the refer is opened is a function of
how many need access.  In our place, the thing is constantly opening and
closing before, during, and after meals.  There is also the fact that in a
common refer, you have to look harder to find what you want because you
didn't put it in there, somebody else did.  Comparing cohousing to the
community kitchens you mentioned,  I'd bet those organizations buy all the
food for a meal the day, or the day before, the meal is prepared.  We make
bulk purchases once, sometimes twice, a month on things like cheese, eggs,
salad dressing, plain yogurt . . . you get the idea.  We also leave leftovers
there for sometimes many days.  We also store garden produce there. There is
also the capacity issue.  We can do these things because we have a big
fridge, and a big fridge has to re-cool a larger air volume.  I also can't
imagine not sterilizing the utensils.  You can either buy a
dishwasher to do it or you can do a simple bleach rinse (a couple a
tablespoons in a dishtub of water, use rubber gloves).

regarding partitioning off the dining room to 60% capacity.  We've had no
need to do that to keep a feeling of intimacy.  We freely move our tables
around.  Sometimes small separate groups feel nice.  Other times we push
tables together and make like the Waltons.  I've noticed in talking to future
cohousers who visit us, in articles in the _Cohousing_ newsletter, and in
this forum the almost overwhelming desire to maximize community interaction
at the design level. We used the same words and designed with the same goals
5 years ago.  I see this same underlying idea in the concern that the dining
room be partitioned to feel more intimate with smaller meals attendance.
Well, if you do move into cohousing, chances are that you will get as much
community interaction as you want--and maybe more.  Sometimes people want to
eat in the Common House, but they also want to be alone, or with only a small
number of other people.   Sure you want to design to encourage interaction,
but you don't need to do things to prevent possibilities for privacy. In
fact, if you don't design to allow privacy, even in community spaces, you may
end up having problems.  If you're not living in cohousing now, you probably
became interested in the concept because you feel a certain lack of
community, an isolation that is part of American suburban
double-garage door opener hide in the backyard watch TV because you never
know your neighbors spend money at the mall to be happy and go into debt at
christmas to impress your relatives consumer culture.  The idea of a friendly
community fills that need.  BUT.  Once you've spent every second of
your free time with your community for a few months, its nice to get a
little private to balance it all out. Sometimes living in cohousing can be
too much; the ideal of consensus decision-making is wonderful, but in real
life application it often means that for any decision, someone has to subsume
her needs/desires/perception to the overwhelming needs/desires/perceptions of
the larger group.  Sometimes consensed group expectations seem managable
at the meeting, but then end up taking far too much time in actual
practice  (Sure, if we all put in 13 hours apiece we can have that [fill in
your preferred amenity here] built by Spring).  And sometimes people's
feelings get hurt; and sometimes people get angry and need to blow off steam;
and sometimes people just need to be alone.  That doesn't mean cohousing
isn't working, or that you made a design error; it just means that sometimes
people need space.  Everyone in cohousing doesn't have to be a best friend to
get along, they just need to have a desire and willingness to work things
out--and that sometimes requires a little space and a little time.  Once you
live together you can't just leave the group--the prospect of selling a house
forces people to stay together even if they find they are not of exactly the
same mind on some things. I suppose I'm making a mountain out of a molehill
on the partitioning of a dining room, but it started me on this line of
thought so I thought I'd share it.  I'll get back to work now.

David Hungerford