RE: cooking and time
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Fri, 20 May 94 14:00 CDT
Laura Bagnall asked:
> How long on
>average does it take to prepare food for 60 (to pick a number) people?
>If one supposes that the majority of adults in a cohousing community
>work full-time (aside: is this a valid assumption?), when do those
>people find time to cook?

>Do you end up having people take a
>half-day off of work once or twice a month, and work late other
>days to make up for it?  Is it generally harder to find cooks on
>weekdays versus weekends?

At Sharingwood we only do meals for 20 at this time so I can give that
perspective.  Last night I cooked dinner which was 5 kinds of quiche
and two types of salad, plus melon. We use teams of three which sign up
in advance and one person is the chef each week so you meal plan and
purchase food once every three weeks.  My team of three broke out the
tasks so that I did the menu planning and baking  and they did food
prep.  I spent 30 minutes the night prior doing some food prep and the
other team members also did about 30 minutes, mostly chopping stuff.
The salads and melon took 1 hour to prepare and shopping took me about
45 minutes, which was an addition to my regular household shopping.

Here is how the schedule worked for me and this is a good typical
example of how it works for us generally showing how people work
community dinner prep into their life schedules.

Wednesday morning before leaving for work I spent 10 minutes in a cook
book making a list of the things I would need. I stopped on the way
from work and picked up the ingredients I needed which we didn't have
in the community food store. (I did actually walk up the commonhouse to
check on what we had which took a couple minutes)

After my kids went to bed(8pm) I distributed a bag of ingredients to be
chopped to my team members and spent 30 minutes making the crusts for
the quiche which I stored in my home refrigerator.

Thursday evening I left work at 4pm  to make dinner. Starting at 4:30 I
assembled the quiches and began baking with 3 in my home oven and 2 in
the commonhouse oven. At 5pm, 2 other crew arrived at the commonhouse
and we assembled the salads and cut up the melon, made juice and sliced
bread. (note: we were listening to a hilarious comedy on the radio and
at times were laughing so hard our productivity was pretty much reduced
to zero)  At just before 6:00 we took the quiches out of the
commonhouse oven and all three of us each carried one quiche from my
oven to the commonhouse. All food was ready to be served at 6pm, our
typical community dinner start time.

As to the aside about working full time - about half the people who are
part of community dinner work full time and usually do less elaborate
meals than those who have more time, although we have some good
cookbooks such as Marion Burroughs, You Have It Made, which offer good
ideas which are pretty quick. (one of my future writing projects is a
list of good community dinner recipes from our cooks, a community
dinner cookbook)  Community dinner is a team effort and so sometimes I
don't even show up till 5:30 to start helping, depending on what is
happening for that meal.

I have been consistently delighted and amazed by the variety and
quality of the food we serve.  I expected a lot more repetition than we
have. This weeks dinners were Pasta Pretoria on Monday, Stir fry
chicken or tofu on Tuesday, Chicken tetrazinie  on Wednesday and quiche
on Thursday.  Most meals also have side dishes of rice, beans or
potatoes, usually have some kind of fruit and usually have salads also.

Weekend meals for us are spontaneous combustion potlucks.  The other
day several us ordered out for pizza and last weekend we had a
community barbecue potluck.  We also do weekend breakfasts sometimes in
the same way, just everybody bring stuff and we eat together.  These
tend to draw more people (usually everyone and assorted hangers on show up too)

I would encourage any groups which are forming to start a dinner club
within your membership, hosting meals at each others houses once a week
or so.  It gives you real insight into cooking for each other, is an
incredible opportunity for group interaction and lets you figure out
strategies for doing meals (you bring the extra tables, Sally has 6
folding chairs, Mike has a large Salad bowl etc..) as well as good
recipes.  Some of my non-cohousing friends got so jazzed about our
community dinners that they created a supper club.  Just do it!