RE: cooperative ventures?
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Mon, 23 May 94 16:32 CDT
 Jim Slotta  wrote:

>One question that I've had for some time concerns the possibility of
>cooperative economic ventures which draw on the power of shared land,
>resources, time, vision, etc.

I know of no cohousing group which goes to the length you describe.
However almost every commune, many cooperatives, land trusts and other
such intentional communities do this as a way of life.  The level of
economic cooperation is one way I've seen people distinguish cohousing
from other intentional community types.  In cohousing each household is
economically independent. In a commune, each household  is economically
dependent.

This of course doesn't mean it can't happen and maybe it will and does
and I just haven't heard about it.  Around the Puget Sound cohousing
groups the expectation is that you are economically independent enough
to pay your share of the total cost of the enterprise.  In some cases,
members may loan funds to one another or to the organization in times
of need or crisis but the organization as a whole does not typically
support individual members financially, at least in any large scale
way such as paying mortgages or groceries.

One of the barriers to making this happen is the weird notions that
cohousing is not about economic dependence. In the promotional
literature about cohousing the focus is on private ownership of homes
and cooperative ownership of other facilities.  I have seen statements
that say: This is not a commune, in order to distinguish it from that
type of community. I think people who would be really interested in
promoting cooperative business within cohousing, especially if it
involved the creation and funding for individual shares of the
community development  might have a hard time.  For one thing cohousing
has relied largely on commercial banks which don't support such things
very much, if at all.  Bank mortgages for capalization  pretty much
demand middle class economic credentials if you want to play with them.
 Banks also give intense scrutiny to independent business because of
the high default rates of that group.

Energy drain is another problem. Large scale cooperative ventures
require full commitment to that venture. Making a small business work
well enough to pay a mortgage is a good trick and requires enormous
energy and talent, even when done cooperatively.  Cooperative business
effort to fund cohousing development would be a great way to allow low
income folks to be part of the scene, although I find it hard to
imagine how you could put enough energy into both a cooperative
business venture and creating a cohousing community.

I think cohousing can adapt well to doing cooperative run business once
it is capitalized and built.  Using organizational assets such as land,
for the profit of a few of the members would raise some issues in my
group.  We have discussed the use of the commonhouse as a center for a
commercial daycare which would be run by one of the members.  The
feelings I have gotten so far is that people support having onsight
daycare for their own kids, but using the facilities to take care of
other, non-member kids would not be OK.  That may be just local to my
own group. If using the commonhouse for a daycare helped pay for it, or
entirely paid for it it might be looked at differently.

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network
Sharingwood Cohousing