kitchen "programming"
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Mon, 23 May 94 17:18 CDT
Tom Moench wrote:
To elaborate, we had a steam table and served cafeteria as well as family
style for the better part of two years.  In our relentless attempt to make
our common house work better we engaged Chuck Durrett who helped us focus on
our kitchen/dining relationship.  Six months later we got around to finishing
the programming, sold the steam table, and ended the cafeteria approach.

I'm interested in your process for programming.  We're working on our kitchen
stuff, as you may have guessed from my questions, and I think we could use some
other approaches.  We got somewhat burned with an earlier "group process" with
our architects, and haven't, therefore, automatically turned to them.

        Our situation is somewhat different from most of the rest of you - it's
"make the best of " the existing building, kitchen, and nearby spaces, in our
rehab common space, not new construction.  So starting off with the ideal of
what we want can create some problems.  And the budget, (not  unlike everyone,
I'm sure) is getting tighter and tighter.

        I'd appreciate any words of wisdom you have time for.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu