Mt Shasta Community announcement
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Tue, 24 May 94 11:44 CDT

>          EARTH CAMP ONE--FORREST HOMESTEAD SITES AVAILABLE--WE NEED TO ACT
> NOW
> Earth Camp One 80 acres of lake, springs, forest, medows and creeks locate
> near the beuatiful Mt. Shasta in Northern are bieng purchased by a
> corporation which plans to build a lodge, kitchen and bath house on the
> property.  One-half acre homesteads are now availabe for sale of private
> "homesteads" secured by a 99 year lease.  Homesteads will offer a gated
> community with private lake, extremelely pure water supply and recreationa
> opportunities.   Purchase of the first 20 homesteads will be only $15,000
> paid over a five year period.  A gathering of interested parties will occu
> on Memorial Day Weekend.  If you interested, contact EXSTASYM [at] AOL.COM or
> Steve Kubby at 916 581-1115 for a free prospectus.

Dave Adams reacted:

A gated community with a recreational center and a
private lake bought by a corporation and sold to strangers over a weekend
does not constitute cohousing, has nothing to do with cohousing, and should
be kept off of the cohousing list.
------0-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I Wonder what the reaction would have been if the announcement had been edited
as follows:

-          Shasta Community- looks for new members --FORREST HOMESTEAD SITES
AVAILABLE--WE NEED TO ACT - NOW - One 80 acres of lake, springs, forest, medows
and creeks locate - near the beuatiful Mt. Shasta in Northern are bieng
purchased by a  group which plans to build a common house (lodge,
kitchen and bath house) on the - property.  One-half acre homesteads are now
availabe for sale of private - "homesteads" secured by a 99 year lease.
Homesteads will offer a _gated_ - community with private lake, extremelely pure
water supply and recreationa - opportunities.   Purchase of the first 20
homesteads will be only $15,000 - paid over a five year period.  A gathering of
interested parties will occu - on Memorial Day Weekend.  If you interested,
contact EXSTASYM [at] AOL.COM . . . .
-

I think that the word _gated_  may be a major part of the reaction received -
cohousers tend to want more open connections to the community.  AND this sounds
to me like it is intended as a vacation community?  Can't really tell.  But in
form, I think we have to admit some parallels to Cohousing.

For me, the question would be (aside from $$$, which would make it impossible
for me, and ofcourse, distance from my home, job, etc) - what is the vision of
the community.  Many years BC (before cohousing) I was involved in two efforts
to buy farms for summer/weekend use - with other families.

I also think we are so bombarded with junk mail and advertising that we can get
very resistant to anything that seems related.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu