RE: Mt. Shasta CA Community Forming
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 24 May 94 12:24 CDT

Rob,

Did you READ the ad that Dave Adams objected to, and that caused you to read
him the riot act about being accepting of other viewpoints?

Yes and I did call. I got the impression from the message that it is
not  a for profit development, the vision is not cohousing, but is
community of sorts.  My point of rebuttal was to say, lets not be exclusive.

I could write up an ad for almost any cohousing group which would read
similarly. Are you not incorporated? That makes you a corporation doing
development. Did you not build a lodge? So we call it a commonhouse
instead of a lodge. Again, the point I make is that we can learn from
all forms of intentional community, even if they are not like cohousing.

One of the biggest dangers within the movement is the "we are better
than them" syndrome.  Cohousing people are especially in the economic
class position to take that attitude, and I have heard statements which
reflect that attitude coming from people who are leaders within
cohousing.  This was very evident at the National Communities
Conference in Olympia last August and caused me to feel very alienated
from the cohousing leadership as coming from the Cohousing Company.

I put in enormous amounts of energy and time into promoting cohousing
and it makes me cringe to hear consultants mock and disparage other
forms of community, especially when it comes from a smug, upper
middle-class professionals such as an architect.

Sorry if I offend, or go ballistic, it's obviously one of my hot
buttons. I care a lot about making cohousing happen as an extention of
the communities movement in general and I see an economic class
separation happening between the upper middle class cohousing and the
lower economic class of co-ops and communes.  This kind of class
barrier is really destructive to networking efforts and I try as much
as possible to get people on both sides of the wall to keep their doors
open.  I spent two hours a month ago at a religious commune learning
what they had to teach and teaching them what I have learned from
living in and creating cohousing.  I hope that our differences are
something we can celebrate, and don't become fodder for intolerance and
prejudice.

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network