RE: Cohousing, Communes, Community--Not for Profit! Please
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 24 May 94 16:06 CDT
Stuart points out:

> The important thing about cohousing is not a certain way to
>arrange buildings, but a way to arrange people -- in a community.  If
>professional marketers pick it up, they will be selling an image, a mirage.

Yes.  The important task then is to make sure the image sold is the
image of people working together, cooperatively owning and the benefits
thereof.  This is much the message that has come out in the popular
press articles I have seen in World news weekly, Delicious magazine,
Wall street journal, etc.  They focus on the relationship of the people
right away, because really that is what it is all about and frankly
that is cohousing greatest selling point.  My wish is to see that
image, of people cooperatively living together, splashed far and wide
across all America so that every person who wants to live that way,
wants to buy in into it.  My next wish is to make it easier to buy in
to.  The current reality of several years of painful work is too great
a barrier for almost everyone, especially parents with small kids.  We
have to make it simpler and it will be so as we all keep sharing our
learning's and advice.

John Lenin's words come to me right now: "You may call me a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world
will live as one."

Rob