RE: advertising
From: Jim_Snyder-Grant . LOTUS (Jim_Snyder-Grant.LOTUSCRD.lotus.com)
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 12:41 CDT
I'd be happy to see information on this list about openings in existing
cohousing communities, and people trying to start cohousing groups.  On the
other hand, I was mildly put off by the EARTH-CAMP-ONE ad, but since it was so
willing to present itself as an ad in format & content, I was quickly able to
delete it after a scan. My vote? Some ads are OK here, as long as they are open
about being ads, and are directly related to cohousing. I'd distribute the
control: describe the policy in the sign-up document, and then have members
flood inappropriate posters & their postmasters with specific complaints.

I think many of us are engaged in seeking to create complex economic acts
between consenting adults: that's the "real-estate development" part of
cohousing. I'm happy to see for-profit businesses find a way to participate in
this conspiracy to commit community, and to use this list to participate. As
long as posters intents are clear, I'm willing to see ads from people that are
specifically acting to support the goals of cohousing, as long as I can tell
with a quick scan that they are ads so I can delete them easily if they don't
interest me. I understand, though, that there may be NSF or other policies that
prohibit ads. If that's so, or if the general feeling of the group is opposed
to any ads, then that's OK with me too: I'm just as willing to read ads in
Cohousing magazines, instead of on-line.
-Jim Snyder-Grant, New View Cohousing