Re: Unpopularity of co-ops in USA
From: Geri Weitzman (pyropanix.com)
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 13:14 CDT
Hi Empathy,

One of the reasons that co-ops are not so well received in the USA today
is because of a backlash response to the hippie movement that cohousing
is widely associated with. A lot of the zoning laws that prevent co-op
formation were formulated in the 60's and 70's in direct response to
hippie free-love co-habitation outside of marriage, and that is somethng
that mainstream America doesn't exactly fancy. A threat to Traditional
Family Values, that sort of thing...

This problem has been encountered by student co-ops (we had a hard time
finding a house that was zoned properly for us to move into, and failed
to obtain a zoning variance for one house we had our eyes on) as well as
co-ops by and for the elderly, which are becoming a way that older folks
find community and togetherness in widowhood (I did a paper on
alternatives to nursing homes and found neat stuff on elder co-ops! This
is not to imply that nursing homes and co-ops serve the same functions -
by a long shot! - but often elderly people who need only minimal
assistance to care for themselves cannot afford to have help come in at
home, so they get railroaded into nursing homes because that is what
the govt will pay for. There is a lot of political resistance to less
warehoused forms of care for older people. BTW - disclaimer on top of
disclaimer - I believe that nursing homes are good places for some people
who really need heavy levels of care. But when I worked in one there were
a lot of people who could have functioned in a co-housing environment
where they had more input into how things were run.)

Whew... long winded of me.
Cheers,
Pyrophage
pyro [at] panix.com