RE: Cohousing for Seniors
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 31 May 94 09:58 CDT
Peter J Rotton asks: Comments concerning the following would be useful:

3) Does this really work for seniors?

Sharingwood was founded by a senior and of the first five people to
join, 3  were seniors.  Sharingwood could have easily become a seniors
community but it was realized by the founders that they did not want
this sort of lifestyle.  In particular they wanted a strong mixture of
people and so when I and several other thirtysomethings with kids
inquired many years ago we were skeptical because there was no one
supporting kids at the time.

One of the things which has been very wonderful for us is the balance
we have now. About a third of our population is over 65.   The
grandmother types have all the kids they want, whenever they want.  As
a community we help out seniors with chores and other physical labor
needed and often the seniors have helped out with financial help.

One of our members does housekeeping as a business and a couple of the
seniors are clients so they get household chores done.  Community
dinner is a real boon and our system allows people to eat without
having to cook which has worked well for one of the elder bachelors
(Mel 89 years young).

Some of the older kids get hired out to do garden work and painting and
the like and also the younger kids have developed special
relationships. My two year old spends two hours every Tuesday with
"grandma Rosemary" and my five year old gets chess lessons, cooking
lessons, art opportunities and paper airplane sessions from the retired
folks in our community.

The seniors in our community are  financially and physically
independent.  Since buy in costs for custom homes runs $150,000 and up
we don't have any low income folks, although our two rental spaces
could be used by such.  We supported one of our seniors when she fell
and broke her leg by doing meals and chores and such until she could
get around, although family members helped her a lot also.  I don't
think we could provide full physical care on a volunteer basis for an
elder but we have talked about elder care as a home business and I know
several people on the phase II task force are interested in making that
happen in the next phase of our development.

In conversations I have had with our elders could say  that they would
all NOT want to live in a "seniors community" but would rather be
integrated with the babies and young adults and everyone else.  The
real strength of cohousing is that they can be as social as they
choose, and always have the security of people who will look after them.