Re: Using outside facilitator
From: Jim_Snyder-Grant . LOTUS (Jim_Snyder-Grant.LOTUSCRD.lotus.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 94 15:26 CDT
New View's history with outside facilitators:

When we did programming, the architects contracted with a facilitator to do
some of the organizing & group process work. That worked out fine, I thought.

Then, we considered bringing in a facilitator when we were wrestling with
issues of diversity in the group & how to expand our diversity via our
membership outreach & possibly by making policy changes: feelings were running
high. There are people who make a living at helping orgnanizations deal with
the traditional legally-involved dimensioons of diversity such as race, gender,
age, etc. We decided not to bring in a facilitator on that one, but even just
talking about that prospect in the process committee & in the whole group
helped clarify what the issues were & generated some ideas about how to proceed.

Professional process-workers who have observed our meetings always say very
positive things about how well we work: I imagine that any cohousing group that
has been successfully working togther for a while would get the same reaction.
As people have pointed out before, the process of developing cohousing seems to
attract & train respectful leadership.

We didn't even consider bringing in an outsider when we wrestled with our last
permitting issue -- the one that led to our first-ever vote -- and I think we
did fine on our own.

The process of bringing in new members has meant that we have had fresh
perspectives & new skills coming in to the group from time to time, and that's
been very helpful.

-Jim Snyder-Grant, New View cohousing
Jim_Snyder-Grant [at] lotus.crd.com