house location selection
From: School of Mathematics, U of MN (depts5.math.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 09:29 CDT
Nancy asked whether there was any moving of buildings to suit the wishes of
individual owner in order to break ties for popular location.

At Monterey-Mpls that was really not possible, although all of us, I'm
sure, would have liked to have out houses face the woods.  The buildable
portion of the site is so small and the configuration of the space such
that the smaller units had to be placed away from the woods and the larger
ones in the "bulge" next to the woods.  This was the only way all the
various sized units could be squeezed into the space and at the same time
leave the maximum open green space in the center.

When the mansion was divided, factors like prime location (south vs.
north), number of windows, location next to the elevator, etc. were factors
that made a given unit more expensive or cheaper (in addition to just plain
square footage of the unit).  We had a number of people with minimum
financial resources and we wanted to make it possible for them to be part
of the community.  I suppose one can say that those with money wind up in
the choice locations both in the mansion and the townhouses, but then I'm
not sure that a specific location of one's house is what makes people
happy in the long run.  If the difference between the various locations is
not great or if remedies can the devised to improve a location, what is the
contest about?

I bought into a condo seven years ago, and while the place is lovely, the
thing that is driving me out is the poor human climate in that
development.

Sorry I don't have a good solution to your problem, Nancy.  Even in our
situation where choices are limited by circumstances I noticed that
tensions rise high, and that includes myself as well.  I don't understand
why.  Even though I "know" that location does not necessarily make happy, I
find myelf responding with a feeling like a lot is at stake with picking a
site.

Anybody have any insight into this feeling?

Monika, Monterey CoHousing-Mpls, dept [at] math.umn.edu