Re: workshop, to have or not to have
From: BM.Vornbrock (bmvmapp.org)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 94 15:50 CDT
> The Monterey group is facing the decision whether or how large a workshop
> to have....
>
> What's the experience of the groups who are up and running?  What did you
> do and what do you wish you had done different?   Any advice on what kinds
> of tools to have?

I'd offer these comments from my closet of fantasies (being that I am not
involved in a co-housing group right now)...

I like the idea of a workshop because it supports the community and
the society in several ways.  A workshop can enhance and provide new
opportunities for skill sharing and building.  The chance to share space
and tools and skills also reduces the material demands on individuals
and society, improving chances for a sustainable, higher technology than
bears teeth, society.  (Fantasy closets sometimes get carried away.)

I learned a lot about brick work and carpentry helping my uncle build
a fireplace and mantel into my parents house and got to know him.  I
think the same can apply to a work shop that your community supports
if it uses it :-)  If I'd had a co-housing community as my environment
I think I might have had a lot more chances to learn a larger variety
of skills (with tools _and_ people) than in my 'nuclear' family background.

I'd spend some time with community members to make sure people would
use it and then stock it with the some extra room (right, sure, I know
but my relatives with workshops always say "I wish I'd known
I was gonna do that when I designed this space.") and tools suggested by
the people who are most likely to use it.

In my case, that would be wood working tools, electric and electronic
repair tools, a group of common tools for landscaping and home repair
and a library of books.