shared beliefs/religion
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 12:38 CDT
Kevin Wolf wrote:

I think that co-housers may become, over time, more like native tribes in
which a clear cultural set of beliefs, philosophies, rituals, practices  and
tenets become dominant and eventually imbued in the subconscious  fiber of all
who live there.  May take 50 years but looking at tribes  around the world
shows a similar trend.
In that context, I would like to strongly recommend to those of you who like
fictional exploration of such issues, Ursula LeGuin's book The Dispossesed.(one
of my favorites.) It shows the way beliefs consciously taught in a society ( in
this case, an anrchist utopia) are played out, and struggled with -  and
differences between what is said and what is lived.  Let me know what you
think, if you would.  (The society, by the way, is built on shared ownership -
only common meals, etc).

RE: religion
Our experience at Monterey Cohousing agrees with the last few responses re
religion - we have a wide diversity of religious and spiritual practice/belief.
I think the issue is *not* diversity of belief but acceptance and respect for
differing beliefs - I know I have a hard time with folks who "know the only
right way".

I just got Lynn's post - she speaks my mind.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu