Re: Re: Re: Cultural Consistency
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 17:21 CDT
 We had a Jewish couple come out for a tour about a month ago or so.
After the tour they indicated that they would not be interested. When
asked why they said: "There aren't any other Jewish people here."

This got me thinking about Cultural/religious issues as barriers to
involvement.  If my particular religion has attributes which affect my
participation in a particular community, would I join knowing that I
would stand out as being "different?"

I think the whole idea of cultural consistency has a lot to do with
finding comfort in what is "normal" for your self and others.  We seek
out and find comfort and affirmation from others like ourselves.  When
the individual is much different than the community it takes enormous
self confidence to be different and join, knowing that you are different.

I just learned of a forming cohousing group who are all Lutheran.  They
want to live together as an expression of their religious values and
see the cohousing model perfectly fitting what they want to do.  They
have 19 committed families and apparently lots of cash and are looking
for a site.  When I asked if you had to be a Lutheran to join them they
essentially said yes, although the exact words were: We are not looking
for anyone else.  It will be interesting to see how they develop.

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network