Re: Cultural Consistency
From: Jim_Snyder-Grant . LOTUS (Jim_Snyder-Grant.LOTUSCRD.lotus.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 17:34 CDT
During one of our membership expansion periods, we acknowledged that households
that added significant new diversity to the group would have the best chance of
wanting to come in & stay in if there were 2 or more families that shared that
same type of diversity. We called this the 'critical mass' factor. At one time,
we codified this in our membership policies by reserving a significant number
of new-member slots for households that would significantly increase the
diversity of the group, realizing that we might need to reserve a few slots in
order to bring in a 'critical mass' . We stated in that policy that we were
particularly interested in diversities of age, race, ethnicity, & sexual
orientation (I forget the exact list, but that's about correct).

We made the policy contingent on a legal review, because we weren't sure if
what we were doing would constitute some sort of discrimination on legal
grounds because of the fair housing laws. When our lawyer took a look at it &
reviewed it with his firm's fair-housing expert, he recommended we drop it. Our
policy was apparently on the line of what would be legal or not. We dropped
back to a policy of considering as a 'positive factor' a potential household's
contribution to increasing the diversity of the group. The lawyer was
comfortable with that.

How did we do? Our group, now 24 households, has some diversity (and comfort
with) a variety of sexual orientations & family configurations; a decent
variety in ages (the one we worked the most on? achieving having [and holding
on to] 5 households over 55); little or no racial diversity, but some adopted
non-white kids; and a variety of religious affiliations, including, curiously
enough, a large number of mixed Jewish / non-Jewish households (including mine).

Finally, a comment on how those involved in cohousing appear to be mutants with
respect to the larger culture: I think what we are seeing has two partial
causes, both of which I've seen operate in New View: First, a certain amount of
self-selection, where people that don't get the potential value in giving up
some autonomy to a larger, cooperative group just don't join co-housing; and
then some reinforcement of those values as each group works out how they are
going to be with each other & each person accumulates successful experiences &
new skill in being cooperative.

We have, from time to time, been able to catch 'group-think' at work, the
pressure on minority points of view to conform to the rest of the group, as if
disagreement was some threat. It is becoming part of our habit as a group to
notice those sorts of moments & take the time to appreciate people's diverse
points of view as a gift to the larger group. If we all thought alike, we could
all be wrong at once without any chance of correction - diverse points of vew
gives us a chance to talk things through & consider options. I'm sure this will
be an ongoing learning for the group - I think us humans get some built-in
inclination or early training on saying we agree with the group even when we
disagree; and we even know how to change our perceptions to match those that
the group around is reporting. I think this is one of the central pitfalls that
groups need to work through.