RE: governance structure
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 14:46 CDT
Monika Stumpf, Monterey CoHousing asked:
>Question now is:  what does your
>structure look like  when you have a nominal board.  What's underneath?  I
>suspect a list of committees/task forces, but do you still have something
>like a committee of the whole which makes final decisions based on the
>input of the people who have checked the issue out?

At Sharingwood our governance works like this.

The board handles issues about policy and legality. They are also the
coordinators of the committees and try to be sure that if two
committees are working on related things that communication between
committees happens.  The board also takes a big picture view and may
suggest action items to the committees or form task forces.

The task forces and committees have autonomy to make decisions and take
actions, as long as the decisions and actions fall under a certain
pre-defined category. For example decisions or actions which affect the
whole community, individuals property or, would be best confirmed by
everyone are punted to the monthly meeting. It is up to the conscience
of the committee to determine whether a decision goes to the large
group or not.

If a decision or action needs big group consensus, it is required that
a written description of the issue be published in the monthly
newsletter.  It is then brought before the whole group at the next
general meeting and we work through our consensus process.  If the
issue needs substantial work for consensus it is passed back to the
committee with input.

One of our problems continues to be that the agenda for committee
meetings is typically not very well communicated so if a committee is
dealing with something I care about and I don't hear about it, I'm
potentially out of the decision loop.  From past history people have
learned to consult certain individuals about actions and because I am
one of those I personally am in touch with most of what is going on.
Others are not and at times that has been a problem.  Our operating
assumption is that individual members are responsible for asking about
what is happening, not waiting and being told.  Although I agree with
this, because that is my style, it does not work well for others.
Minutes do get posted in the commonhouse but reading through such is
pretty tedious and the quality of minutes is largely dependant on the
note taker and some people do less thorough job of recording than others.

We do have committee reports at the general meeting but often that is
well after the fact of a decision or action.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood

  • governance structure School of Mathematics, U of MN, June 24 1994
    • RE: governance structure Rob Sandelin, June 24 1994