Re: Cultural Consistency
From: Martin Schafer (schaferanubis.network.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 94 09:28 CDT
> solid in their atheism.  The diversity has never included fundamentalists
> of any religion - those who believe their written scripture word for
> word.  This type of belief means that those of us who believe in
> evolution will be directly against the fundamentalists.
>
> A second factor is in how much one believes they should prostelitize
> their religion or their belief in Rush Limbough to the others in the
> community.  If they kept quiet about their beliefs and didn't push them
> on others, maybe it wouldn't be a problem.

I think that it is not fundamentalism per se, but some characteristics
that people believe fundamentalists have that are a problem.  The
one thing that a diverse, cooperative, community cannot tolerate is
intolerance.  So long as they are not intolerant, biblical literalists,
flat earthers, and snake handlers can all make fine neighbors.

Martin