Berkeley Duplex for Sale By Owner
From: Helene Maxwell (hmaxwellnetcom.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 94 15:07 CDT
I hope it's ok to post this message.  I have co-owned a duplex in
Berkeley for the past four years with a person I met through CoHousing.
We realized that, as our CoHousing group discussed possible sites, we had
no equity to invest and couldn't afford to live in CoHousing yet.  (Our
group was also having a hard time finding a site.) At any rate we
purchased a duplex in '90 and had many of the advantages of
CoHousing--shared ownership, shared planning of common areas, etc.  It
was a very positive experience but our lives have changed (a marriage, a
child) and we've decided to sell the property.

Our duplex is near Shattuck and Ashby in Berkeley.  It's a 2-story brown
shingle that has been remodeled and upgraded.  There is a beautiful
garden and 2 decks:  one in the yard and one on the roof.  The units are
not large (approx 750 sq ft upstairs and 650 downstairs) but it has been
ideal for co-ownership or for someone who wants to live in one unit and
rent the other.

We are selling this on a "By Owner" basis for a relatively short period
of time.  If we can sell it ourselves, we'll be able to keep it
affordable.  Sorry--should have told you the price at the beginning--
$209,500.  If you'd like to receive a flyer with a sketch and more
details, please leave an e-mail message for me  hmaxwell [at] netcom.com or
call (510) 531-0829.  Thanks.