Intentional Communities vs. Cohousing
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 09:40 CDT
 Sandy Bodzin <sb5i+ [at] andrew.cmu.edu> asked:
 Can anyone please explain the difffernece between an intentional
community and a cohousing community?

For me, a cohousing community is one subset of models for intentional
communities , which is a more general term.  IE - there can be urban, rural,
etc cohousing - they can set energy efficiency or self sufficiency as a
priority or not, but still be cohousing plus a variation.
        Intentional community includes a huge range of models - from income
pooling
and all-communal dining and other very strong requirements for participation
down to , I suppose, houses in the same neighborhood with some regular shared
activities.  I'm not so sure how to define the limits on this.

Re: the Quaker question, and religious requirments and legality (i.e.
discrimination) , i can only guess that it depends on how you set it up.

Judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu