RE: controlling membership
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 10:18 CDT
Monika Stumpf, Monterey CoHousing-Mpls, asked about legal options for
non-involvement.

One of the mistakes we made in our CCR's is the association has no
enforcement power  short of foreclosing on a unit for non-payment of
assessments.  If an unapproved addition is added the board can hire
contractors to tear it down and bill the unit owner but that is about
as far our enforcement authority goes.  I think it would be a good idea
to charge some escalating fee for work required but not done, with the
board or other association representative collecting the fee.

We are discussing this right now at Sharingwood in regards to our
commonhouse maintenance.  Those who don't want to, or can't for
physical or other reasons contribute to the effort of washing windows,
mopping floors, cleaning the stove and toilets etc. will have to hire
someone else to do that for them.  At least that is what is being
proposed.  As it travels the labyrinth of group process it will likely
take some other form.  This is not a pressing issue since our current
community maintenance needs are small and our commonhouse is still
waiting for a permit.

One of the chronic problems we are having is that people volunteer for
tasks and then forget that they volunteered, or don't follow through.
Another process we are talking about is setting up THE TASKMASTER......
This evil person would crack the whip, keep the task list, contact and
follow-up on tasks not done in a timely manner.  Since we have been
pretty laid back, especially over the summer, I am not sure how well
this will go over.  As a group we have consistently avoiding making any
*requirements* on community maintenance but rather let people
volunteer.  This will be an interesting discussion.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood

  • controlling membership School of Mathematics, U of MN, July 13 1994
    • RE: controlling membership Rob Sandelin, July 13 1994