RE: Marketing ideas ???
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 11:11 CDT
Deborah Behrens asked:

>I'll probably get some ideas as I go thru old email files, but our
>(Highline Crossing's) membership team would like to know if you
>have any novel ideas about marketing.  We've sold about 2/3 of our
>36 units, and have been plateaued for a few months.

Without knowing your demographics and price range I will assume you are
building 36 units from scratch with a significant income to buy in.

1.  If you can find out who the local democratic or republican
chairperson is contact them and try and find out who does their fund
raising.  You can often buy that mailing list and it will contain a
fairly high number of wealthy folks.  Direct mail is used pretty
effectively by lots of organizations.  Other places to get mailing
lists from are local chapters of Sierra club, Audubon chapters, garden
clubs.  Many of these organizations have local newsletters which a
small article can go a long way.

2.  If you are looking to broaden your ethnic base check into local
ethnic newsletters. Often the local chapter of NAACP does a newsletter,
 as do many local ethnic organizations.

3.  Spread fliers through your  membership - have everyone take and
distribute 10 fliers.  Sharingwood did this once and the fliers
multiplied through relatives and friends.  I once got a call from a
woman who had seen our flier in the womans bathroom on the 40th floor
of a downtown office building - to this day I still don't know who put
it there.

4. The Unitarian church has been a good place for us - something about
cohousing seems to really appeal to Unitarians.

5.  Be sure your promotional materials appeals to retired folks,
assuming that is within your demographics.  1/3 of our membership is
retired and cohousing offers enourmous benefits to the elderly.

Good luck

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network