nuclear family/def of cohousing
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 15:36 CDT
Message author: Joyce Gorsuch  JCGORSUCH [at] UCDAVIS.EDU
wrote:, 13 Jul 1994 22:59 -0500 (CDT)
that she agreed with my definitions below

>For me, a cohousing community is one subset of models for intentional
>communities , which is a more general term.  IE - there can be urban, rural,
>etc cohousing - they can set energy efficiency or self sufficiency as a
>priority or not, but still be cohousing plus a variation.
>        Intentional community includes a huge range of models - from income
>pooling
>and all-communal dining and other very strong requirements for participation
>down to , I suppose, houses in the same neighborhood with some regular shared
>activities.  I'm not so sure how to define the limits on this.

<<<I agree with you, but I would add that the nuclear family is an integral
part of cohousing, perhaps even the focus of cohousing. Such has been my
experience living at N Street.
-Joyce Gorsuch>>>

I wonder about that.  Again, I suspect that there are different varieties of
cohousing, and I hope there will continue to be.
In our group, looking only at full members, not associates, we have 6 singles,
out of 16 (or 17 - I hear one couple has applied for membership) households.
It is a mix.  And I heard that Doyle Street (Emeryville) has very few children.

I like Rob (Sandelin)'s championing of many models for community, and N Street
sounds wonderful.  However, in Minnesota winters, I would really like to live
close to my neighbors.

And I observed an interesting phenomenon, in my old, wonderful neighborhood in
Minneapolis. I was for many years very close to a family at the other end of
the block - we shared dinners, babysat each others kids, lent tools, cars, etc.
Very close-it was great.  AND, in winter, we almost never saw each other except
by arrangement, by phone. Whereas when some friends rented the house next door,
we would see each other going in and out and that relationship grew because of
it.  My observation was that the farther away my friends/acquaintances lived,
the more barriar there was to dropping in, the less we intereacted
spontaneously.  So I guess I am saying that I don't know what the magic
distance is to help a community gel, but I wouldn't want to get too spread out.

On the other hand, the thought of avoiding all this development XXXXXXX is
so oo o o   appealing.
Judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu