guest rooms/usage
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 94 12:34 CDT
I'm wondering about people's experience with and plans for common guest rooms.
We've heard, I think, that one of the groups with guest rooms in the commons
house is finding less usage than expected.  We currently have 1  medium size
and one very small guest room in our "Mansion" common space, and they certainly
get used, but my sense is (without counting) possibly 4-8 days per quarter.
This is, of course, with only 8 households in residence.

We are not planning to build any more common guest space, but possibly have
people with guest rooms in their own homes make them available in some way , to
others.  I'm considering that myself.  I know someone has a bed and breakfast
at Winslow (? or is it somewhere else).

Our policy now is that guest space is free to members' friends and family, up
to some time limit (I can't remember what that is).  We charge people who are
needing a place to stay temporarily but not connected to someone.  Or, I
suppose, Cohousing visitors

But it seems to me that if we use private space, someone has to pay something
for the use.  Any models?

Judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu