guestrooms/usage
From: Hungerford, David (dghungerforducdavis.edu)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 12:04 CDT
At Muir Commons we have one small guest room.  Outside in the hall hangs a
calendar, on which people sign up first-come, first-served.  There is no time
limit, however, an etiquette has developed around long-term guests (say, more
than a week or ten days) which makes it okay for someone to ask if they can
have the room for a couple of days, the long-term guests either sleeping on
their hosts' sofa or going to a motel.  This has worked out fine.  We charge
nothing (we generally have seen nit-picking about very small costs--furniture
wear and tear;utilities--as a greater hassle than benefit.  Besides, the
common house IS an extension of our own homes, right?), but the hosts are
expected to clean the room, wash linens, etc.

We do allow guests who are visiting cohousing rather than any one individual,
but I believe we do charge a small fee and limit the time, and of course,
residents have first dibs on the room.

In designing it, we made at least three mistakes:       1) it doesn't have a
+closet or enough room for sitting space; there's no place to put suitcases
etc. except on the floor, and the guest don't really have a place to go to
have privacy.  Trust me, when your parents visit for 3 weeks, you and they
both NEED a place for them to go sometimes.     2) we didn't put a shower in
the bathroom next to the guest room.  We thought guests would just come to
our houses, but that turns into a hassle when all their stuff is at the
common house.  3) Although it is remote from activities INSIDE the common
house, we inadvertantly put it against the main path, across the sidewalk
from the children's play structure, so there is traffic just outside the
windows and noise in the mornings.  We would make it more remote if we could
do it over.

We now wish we had another guest room, or another room which could serve as
a guest room when there are overlaps.

Hope this is useful.

David Hungerford
dghungerford [at] ucdavis.edu

  • guestrooms/usage William Chasko, July 21 1994
    • guestrooms/usage Hungerford, David, July 21 1994