Re: Intentional communities
From: Gordon (weilepivax.epi.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 15:57 CDT
Allen Butcher's thoughtful letter made me wonder what purpose there is in
discriminating between intentional communities and cohousing communities.
Dividing the two seems counter-productive, particularly since there are several
significant intentional communities that have been around for many years and
should represent a wealth of experience in group process and group living.
While several people have mentioned in COHOUSING-L their wishes to tour
cohousing sites, one would think there is some value in touring other
intentional communities as well.  Conversley, the numerous cohousing
developments represent a welcome source of new energy and experience for other
intentional communities whose ranks have, I believe, pretty much stabilized.  I
am not actively involved in a cohousing group and may never move into cohousing.
I do live in an intentional community, and I have found a lot of useful
information reading COHOUSING-L.

I'm afraid my experience confirms Allen's observation that different communities
do not network well together.  Part of that is the conflict of ideals that Allen
mentions.  But I think it is also the inevitable result of the inward focus that
communities demand:  While forming the fabric of our own community, it's too
easy to neglect the rest of our social options.  Living in community takes a lot
of time and attention.  People in community are forced to prioritize and
priorities naturally fall upon the immediate community.

-Gordon

> Gordon Weil                              Phone:     (612) 626-8851          <
< Division of Epidemiology                   Fax:     (612) 626-9444          >