Re: Dealing with deadlock
From: Stephen Hawthorne (hawthornacpub.duke.edu)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 94 10:51 CDT
Our experience at Blue Heron over the two years we've been meeting is that
Tom is right: people tend to dig in their heels when they are scared.
This can take the form of deadlock or just of raising so many questions
that we can't get to a decision.

A solution that has worked well for us
is to use a talking stick and to go around the circle having people talk
specifically about what they are afraid of.  The stick helps us all listen
better since it eliminates cross-talk or the impulse to "fix" the person's
fears.  When we are truly listening to each other we often come to
a compassionate understanding of the other that allows some new
idea to surface that we can reach consensus on.

In addition, it seems that when people really feel heard, they relax a bit
and become more open to possibilities they have previously been closed to
because of their fear.

Stephen Hawthorne
Blue Heron Farm
Chatham County, NC