Re: Intentional communities
From: Stephen Hawthorne (hawthornacpub.duke.edu)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 94 10:52 CDT
I agree with Gordon's post about the distaiction between cohousing and
intentional community being understandable but not particularly
useful.  Those of us who comprise Blue Heron Farm decided early on we wanted
to spend the effort up front developing community within the group, so we
are intentional, and we are using the cohousing model for our site
plan.

We happen to have found Scott Peck's model for community building, and have
used it with, I think, remarkable success over the last two years to
develop a group where there is a high degree of commitment to being
emotionally open and supportive of each other.

Peck happens to be a Christian.  We cover the waterfront from pagan through
Baha'i, Quaker, lovers of Meher Baba, Jews, Christians, agnostics,
whathaveyou.  His model, described in the book A DIFFERENT DRUM, is not
inherently Christian, but is a process any group could use.

I haven't included our Vision Statement in this post since it's about
6 pages long, but I'd be glad to share it with anyone interested.

Stephen Hawthorne
Blue Heron Farm
Chatham County, NC