Re: Parking issues
From: School of Mathematics, U of MN (depts5.math.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 09:35 CDT
On Wed, 27 Jul Nancy Wight  <cohousing-l [at] uci.com> asked about parking.

Sorry Nancy, but I can't help very much with the problem of someone wanting
at-house parking when there is none available.  At Monterey CoHousing-Mpls
our plan is to build townhomes with tuck-under garages.  The site is
narrow and drops off on all sides.  Tuck-unders was the only way to park
your car anywhere.  People living in the existing mansion will rent parking
in those houses were there is an unused parking spot.  The townhouses are
built like arms extending from the mansion, except that there is the
obligatory gap in between as dictated by the city ordinance between the
mansion and the townhouse arms.  The central area encircled by the
townhouses and the mansion is our pedestrian zone.It's much smaller than we
would like it to be but we'll make do.  People renting parking space in the
townhouses will have to walk 50 yards or so, max.  And they can use the
underground walkways which lead from the townhouse garages to the common
space in the mansion. The walkways will be a real help in our cold Minnsota
winters.  No more bundling up the kids and/or yourself in coats, gloves and
hats just to go over to the common area!

Coming back to your situation, Nancy, would a neighbour be willing to share
his/her garage?  At least the distance to be walked would be shorter.

Good luck,
Monika Stumpf, Monterey CoHousing-Mpls area, dept [at] math.umn.edu