legal documents
From: vanilla (vanillainfo-gw.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 09:53 CDT
Hi there.  I have been engaged in trying to learn about and make sense of
the various legal documents and financial arrangements involved in
getting a cohousing project from the planning stage, to reality. rob
sandelin has been extremeley helpful, by providing a set of 4 documents
at the face value of his copying cost.  another dear person whose name i
don't remember sent me a bylaws document free of charge.

another member of our group contacted The Cohousing Company and via them,
was offered the chance to buy sets of documents from 2 different
cohousing communities at a premium charge of something like $50 apiece.
our group did not take up this offer.

beyond that, i am not aware of other documents being available.

The advice that has been given to me via this net, i may summarize very
briefly and incompletely as follows.  The laws governing multi-family
housing arrangements are different in each state.  these laws often are
fairly recent (such as condominium laws, enacted perhaps in the 1970s or
later; or such as, here in Georgia, the "limited liability corporation" i
believe it's called, has only just this year come into existence; it was
discussed at the regional cohousing meeting this summer).   Due to the
variety and complexity of these laws, it is essential to get expert
advice (this means: hire a lawyer) from someone with real-life, in-depth
experience IN YOUR STATE.  getting copies of documents from other
projects in other states is good, but cutting and pasting your favorite
parts together is only a start, and not a way to create a sound document
that would stand the test of courts and banks examining it in your home
state.

i heartily second the idea of creating a handbook covering the legal and
financial issues in cohousing.  I must say that my cohousing group is
encountering some big challenges in entering the stage where it must deal
with this stuff.  It appears that the group is in danger of smashing on
these mean rocks and becoming a shipwreck.  it would be too bad, because
the group has sailed across a wide trackless ocean and now is in sight of
the harbor.  we have the beautiful drawings, an option on the property,
two banks interested in financing, 7 of 12 units reserved by escrow
deposits (our site by a railroad makes pre-selling without the units to
walk through particularly challenging), an 8th household on the verge of
putting money down, and now at least 3 members talking of withdrawal
(including myself and the other recent joiner) and work at meetings
overtaken by sad and sometimes nasty arguing.

 Gareth Fenley
 Atlanta, Georgia

Information Gateway - Public Access Usenet and Email - +1 404-928-7873
Please reply to:  vanilla [at] info-gw.com, vanilla [at] info-gw.atl.ga.us
                  vanilla [at] info-gw.lib-org.lib.org