community dinner economics
From: School of Mathematics, U of MN (depts5.math.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 09:17 CDT
Lynn Warschauer asked about varying levels of participation in planning,
purchasing, cooking, cleaning up after community dinner.

I've outlined our purchasing and accounting process earlier.  From what I
can tell, this aspect of common dinners is ok with our people.  At least I
don't hear any mention of a need to change.  Basically I'm the food
buying 'czar', meaning I'm the person to does the work and decides how to
do it.  It is not clear whether this arrangment will still work when the
whole group is moved in (increase from 8 housholds to 25 or so).

The aspect of common meals that is still undergoing constant revisions
because we are still looking for a better solution is cleaning up after the
meals.  Now we have a list posted in the kitchen showing all clean-up tasks
(3 people to do dishes, others for putting away leftovers, cleaning the
tables, sweeping the floor, etc, ect.)  Those that need to be done every
day are marked with color and **must** be done.  After dinner people sign
up for jobs and go to it.  Everybody who eats is expected to contribute to
the clean-up and that includes guests and visitors.  Judy Baxter may have a
better picture here, but I get the impression that the same group of people
tends to sign up and others tend to drift away.  We have not made a big
deal of it.

Monika Stumpf, Monterey CoHousing-Mpls, dept [at] math.umn.edu