mutual housing
From: Deborah Behrens (debbehAuto-trol.COM)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 94 11:23 CDT
> Debbie - Could you provide more information about Mutual Housing
> Associations and the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation - addresses,
> focus of work, region of work? -- Jeffrey Hobson    N Street Cohousing

For more information contact:
        NEIGHBORHOOD REINVESTMENT CORPORATION
        80 Boylston St, #1230
        Boston, MA 02116
        (617) 565-8447

This is a handout I've gotten recently (it's about 4 pages long):

        MUTUAL HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS

What is Mutual Housing?  Mutual housing is an affordable alternative to
traditional home ownership and a significant steup up from rental housing.
Mutual Housing is a permanent housing resource that offers residents security
of
tenure, long-term affordability, a voice in the operation of their housing, and
an opportunity to be a part of a stable community.  Mutual Housing is quality
housing, built and maintained to standards that insure long-term,
multigenerational use.

What is a Mutual Housing Association?  A Mutual Housing Association is a
private, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) partnership organization that develops, owns and
manages new and existing affordable housing in the community interest.
Membership is composed of Mutual Housing residents and potential residents,
representatives of municipal and state government, and leaders from businesses,
corporations and the broader community.  The Association is governed by a Board
of Directors representative of the membership.  Each Board member has one vote;
Mutual Housing residents and potential residents constitute the majority.
The mission of a Mutual Housing Association is to provide safe, permanently
affordable housing, and security from displacement for low- and moderate-income
residents.  Beyond developing housing, the Association's mission is to build a
strong and stable community through the empowerment of its residents.  Mutual
Housing Associations are committed to being ongoing producers of affordable
housing to meet the current and future housing needs of the communities they
serve.

Who Owns Mutual Housing?  The Mutual Housing Association as a corporate entity
(rather than members as individuals) owns all of the housing units and
complexes.  While residents do not own their units, they do have pride of
ownership because Mutual Housing provides members with a lifetime right to
occupy their units (as long as they do not violate the Occupancy Agreement) and
the right to nominate a family or household member as a successor.  Through
participation on local Resident Councils and through elected representatives to
the Board of Directors, residents have a majority voice in all decisions and
actions of the Mutual Housing Association; in effect, residents "own" the
organization that owns their housing, thereby furthering the residents'
ownership stake.

How is Mutual Housing Managed and Operated?  Residents pay an affordable
monthly
housing charge which in aggregate covers operating costs, including realestate
taxes, property insurance, maintenance, repairs, and long-term replacement
reserves.  In most cases, residents pay a percentage of adjusted gross income
for housing charges.  A small percentage of housing charges is set aside in a
fund for ongoing production.  As the Association grows, the Future Development
Fund provides an internal source of development capital.
The properties are managed by a professional management staff with regular
input
and direction from residents through organized Resident Councils and through
the
Mutual Housing Association Property Management Committee.  Resident
orientation,
training and ongoing support ensure meaningful participation in operation and
property management decisions.

How is Mutual Housing Developed?  Mutual Housing is developed by the Mutual
Housing Association, whose staff includes development professionals.  In
addition, members of the Board of Directors who contribute their expertise
further enhance the Association's development capacity.
Mutual Housing is developed for diverse populations with significant input from
potential residents and the community at large.  Mutual Housing may be
developed
from existing structures through rehap or may be new construction.  It is built
for long-term multigenerational use.
The Mutual Housing Association is committed to using all resources in excess of
its operating and maintenance costs for the continued production of additional
housing units.

How is Mutual Housing Capitalized?  Mutual Housing is capitalized with
financial
mechanisms that will not jeopardize permanent affordability or the
Association's
long-term ownership of the housing.  The most desirable method of capitalizing
Mutual Housing Association developments is with upfront grants from public and
private sources.  Ideally, Mutual Housing is debt free.  Using upfront grants,
the Association is able to develop housing that mitigates or eliminates the
impact of debt service.  This results in increased affordability -- and the
larger the grant, the lower the income group that can be served.  By
eliminating
the need for equity capital from outside investors, the Association's housing
is
not subject to market pressures and hence, affordability is preserved.
Residents pay a one-time membership fee, which is applied to the capitalization
needs of the development.  The fee is set by the Association and can range from
several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.  The fee earns nominal
interest and is refundable when the resident moves.
The Association also uses its Future Development Fund to capitalize
developments.
Debt financing and other financial mechanisms are used only to the extent
necessary to cover the gap between available grants and development costs.

What are the Benefits of Mutual Housing to the Community and the Residents?
"A step up from rental housing,"  Mutual Housing offers many of the advantages
of traditional home ownership.
- Quality housing -- the units are well constructed and well maintained.
- Good management -- since professional property management staff work
primarily
for its members, management is sensitive and responsive to residents' concerns.
- Security of tenure -- Membership in the Mutual Housing Association assures
residents that they will have an affordable home for as long as they wish to
stay, provided they do not commit any serious breach of the Mutual Housing
Occupancy Agreement.
- Continued affordability -- Because the housing is not to be sold, it is not
affected by market pressures.  Housing costs are contained and directly related
to the costs of operating the housing.  In most cases, residents pay a
percentage
of adjusted gross income for housing charges, ensuring that the housing is
affordable over a resident's lifetime.
- Resident control -- Each member has a voice in the affairs of the Mutual
Housing Association, including policy decisions regarding property management
and
plans for future development activities.

The Role of Neighborhood Reinvestment:  The Neighborhood Reinvestment
Corporation
is a national nonprofit organization that provides technical assistance and
support to the national NeighborWorks network of local partnership
organizations
actively serving 260 neighborhoods in 140 communities across the country.  At
the
request of Congress, Neighborhood Reinvestment undertook pilot development of
Mutual Housing Associations in Baltimore, Maryland, and the Lower East Side of
New York City.  Mutual Housing Associations now also exist in Hartford and
Stamford, Connecticut; Sacramento, California; Austin, Texas; Ithaca, New York;
Madison Wisconsin; and Denver, Colorado.
Neighborhood Reinvestment provides direction and assistance in all phases of
Mutual Housing Development.  When organizational formation is complete, sites
are secured and a local Mutual Housing Association Board of Directors has been
established, Neighborhood Reinvestment provides ongoing training, support and
technical assistance to the Association's staff, Board and Resident Councils.
Mutual Housing Associations have access to a broad range of services and
resources available to the national NeighborWorks network.