Re: mutual housing
From: Stephen Hawthorne (hawthornacpub.duke.edu)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 16:12 CDT
Blue Heron Farm is looking to do something similar to what Kennebec
VAlley is doing. (Grace, we're leaving for Bridgton on Friday 8/12 and will
call you about visiting while we're up there, 8/12-27).

We want to have some low-income units and some market units.  We are also
considering some rental units which would allow transitional people
to participate in the community and persons interested in joining who
would be able to rent for a year, say, and see how we like each other.

In the spirit of sustainability, Blue Heron bought our first recycled
homes yesterday from a local housemover.  We shop at the Thrift Store a
lot, and my partner Sally says these are Thrift Store houses.)  They were
condemned by the state for highway widening.  We plan to put the two
together to form one house with 5 bedrooms and 2 baths (we have 3 kids).
Together they are about 1500 square feet and cost us $14,000 delivered
and placed on the foundations.  We need to have the foundations built, and
do a lot of fixup and solar retrofit, but it's hard to beat the $10 a square
foot price thus far!