sweat equity
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 15:17 CDT
David Hungerford recently wrote :

The recent discussions on sweat equity bring to mind some experiences we at
Muir Commons have had.  .....
(and gave us a lot of detail)
"I do believe that the experience  deeply damaged our community. Maybe we
shouldn't have taken on such a big  task.  Maybe we expected too much of
ourselves.  Maybe we should have  realized at the beginning that what's
equitable is not always the same as  what is equal (e.g. work hours)."

David: - thank you, thank you for all that you wrote.  I plan to post it on our
bulletin board, as it seems very relevant to our group.  I have noticed for a
while that our group tends to reject paying for services in favor of do it
ourselves, for good reasons, mostly money.  And there are lots of
super-responsible people  (not all, to be sure).  But I am concerned about the
levels of stress and burnout I see.  It really helps to have some cautionary
examples.

I'm so glad we have this net.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu