CoHousing Conference
From: Kevin Wolf (kjwolfucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 94 02:13 CDT
We just received the call for presentations for the October Co-Housing
conference.  I help develop conference in my consulting work and think that
this conference offers a wonderful opportunity to
help all of us co-housers.  I would like to put a proposal out to this
on-line community for discussion.  It may be that the organizers of the
October event do not feel it apporpriate to take the result of our
discussion into designing the 1994 event.  I think our on-line discussion
could be useful for the 1995 conference or might spark some other means
to advance it.

Donno Spreitzer and I think that a gathering of representatives of
different co-housing communitys would be a great time to have groups of
us tackle some of the more difficult problems we face and see if we can
reach a "consensus" on:

        The problem
        Its causes
        Best solutions, preventions etc

The results of these "meeting" workshops could be summarized in a page
and published - on line certainly and possible in print.

Based on some of the discussion in this list, I would offer the following
"problems" and ask that others add to the list.

- Kids in community meals
- sweat equity
- getting members to start a new community
- how to best do "retrofit" co-housing
-  financing

In the conference groups I work with, we are moving more and more to
excellent facilitators moderating a panel of "experts" and/or the workshop
participants as a whole.  One thing that I am sure the October co-housing
conference will have is a lot of experience faciliators.

Depending on the depth of the topic, a workshop/meeting could last from
as 90 min to 3 or 4 hours.  If these types of breakout groups happened in
the morning, they could report back to a plenery session of all 100
participants in the afternoon.  (Some people would not be interested in
certain topics and could do personal visiting when that subject was
brought up at the plenery.)

One thing I realized from this list (and knowing the Muir and N St
communities fairly well) is that we all have many of the same problems.
Our collective experience, put together in a good process, could provide
summaries that would help the overall movement.  Buidling community does
not without work and becomes easier with experience.

---
Kevin Wolf
724 N St
Davis, CA 95616