cohousing trademark
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 94 17:01 CDT
Stuart wrote:
> Seems I remember that McCamant and Durrett copyrighted the term "Cohousing"
> in the course of publishing their book,  anyone know for sure?

In the first edition, it says:

Cohousing is a trademark of McCamant & Durrett. All rights reserved.  Contact
McCamant & Durrett through the publisher for permission to use the term.

I'm not sure exactly what restrictions on use the trademark status imposes.
It may just be that other commercial concerns cannot use it.  I wouldn't
have thought it affects us using the word as a piece of the normal
language (like kleenex).  But I don't know.
In an issue of CoHousing magazine , maybe 2 or 3 issues ago
they explained why they did this  (I too understood something about
establishing its meaning, so that one couldn't call any old development
cohousing)  and that now that the term was established, they were no longer
trying to protect it, or spending money to do that.  I don't know what the 2nd
edition of the book says,  - but I think the first one has been superceded.

Judy
Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu