From: Pablo Halpern (phalpernworld.std.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 94 17:32 CDT
Hi netters,

Sorry this took so long; I've been just too busy (I'm sure many of you
cohousers know what that's like).

In July, there was a discussion in cohousing-l about the possibility of
setting up a computer network for use by an individual cohousing community.
The network could be used for community business such as distributing
anouncements or meeting agendas or for actually discussing proposals. Of
course, each resident could also send EMAIL to other residents. A related
benefit was that such a network could have a gateway to the internet,
providing much cheaper internet access for all of the residents than if
each one subscribed separately to an internet service.

My concern about such a network was that only the "nerds" would use it,
thus reducing its usefulness for community business, which necessarily
involves the non-nerds in the community as well. But other people felt that
computers were getting easier to use and that a community network would not
necessarily be limited to nerds. In order to explore this idea I posted a
survey back on July 12th in order to find out how many cohousing-l
subscribers are sophisticated computer users and how many use the net just
because its so damn useful and/or enjoyable. I reasoned that the topic of
cohousing-l is primarily not computers and so it should attract nerds and
non-nerds equally. Thus, if non-nerds really do use the internet,
cohousing-l is as likely a place to find them as anywhere else.

**** Now, as to the results ******

I received direct survey responses from 33 people; thank you all. I also
received a number of comments, which I summarized below. My survey was
rather vague and unscientfic, so I often had to interpret people's

        1. Nerds (definition below):                    19 people
        2. Heavy non-technical computer use:             6 people
        3. Light computer use (mostly WP and internet):  6 people
        4. Somewhere between categories 2 and 3:         2 people

        Total                                           33 responses

== What I meant by "nerd" ==

Basically, I use "nerd" to mean someone who is an expert in a technical
subject that is looked on as misterious to those outside the field. It is
generally applied to certain people in the fields of science, mathmatics or
high technology.

Some computer programmers wrote that "nerd" usually refers to someone with
poor social skills, who persues his/her technical subject to the exclusion
of all else, and who "doesn't have a life." Given this definition, it is no
wonder that many people object to being called nerds.

When I use the term, I am "reclaiming" it much in the way certain feminists
and spiritual groups are reclaiming the words "crone" or "witch." I use it
as member of the club, somewhat tongue-in-cheek -- the way Jews tell Jewish
jokes. I acknowledge the negative connotations and also acknoledge that at
some points in my life, I was a "nerd" in the negative sense. For this
survey I basically used it as a short-hand for a technically sophisticated
computer user.

== "Addictive" nature of internet access ==

When refering to EMAIL and internet access, a common theme in the comments
I received was the "I don't know how I did without it" syndrome. People use
EMAIL to stay connected to many things, including other members within
their communities and the larger on-line cohousing world. Among the
less-technical users, EMAIL use often started because of a specific need
(cheep overseas communication or a work requirement) but has now almost
become a necessity. Although the survey numbers did give solid evidence
that people would quickly embrace a community network, I do get some
encouragement from non-nerd comments like these.

- Pablo

Pablo Halpern              (508) 435-5274         phalpern [at] world.std.com

New View Neighborhood Development, Acton, MA