re: Trust
From: Pablo Halpern (phalpernworld.std.com)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 94 17:04 CDT
> From: robyn <MANDERSE [at] CCVM.sunysb.edu>
>
>   While Ron Sandlin's (I hope I got that right I don't have your post in
>  of me) comments here on trust and community resonate well with me - I st
>  see a need for some sort of tracking system in regards to work (sweat
>  equity) contributions.

[ stuff deleted ]

>        The reason we do it is to maintain our awareness
>  of what we are doing and our individual contributions and those of each

[ more deletia ]

>             Trust is great, but traking things can be
>                     helpfull for more than just enforcement.

This is an excellent point. There are many cases where people keep track of
things that have nothing to do with enforcement (or at least not directly).
Almost any program that people follow to curb their own spending or reduce
their weight involves keeping careful track of everything one spends or
eats, respectively. The purpose of doing this is not so that another person
can chastise you for spending or eating too much, but to give you enough
awareness to control yourself. Any time you write something down, it forces
you to put a certain amount of consciousness on it.

Keeping track of work contributions can have a similar effect. It does not
imply removing trust, but it is a system to build awareness. I think
Robyn's point about being able to appreciate other people's contributions
is also valid.

So, combining Robyn's point with Rob's: Keep track BUT keep it simple.

- Pablo

Pablo Halpern                          phalpern [at] world.std.com
(508) 435-5274
  • re: Trust Dan Ardoin, August 12 1994
    • re: Trust robyn, August 13 1994
    • re: Trust Pablo Halpern, August 13 1994
    • re: Trust Rob Sandelin, August 15 1994