Re: affordable cohousing, etc.
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 94 16:49 CDT
In Washington State there are couple of good examples of how to do
affordable housing. Both are set up as land trusts. The Opal land trust
has 25 small houses and they are planning a small community room (a
large scale commonhouse is way out of their means).  The land for Opal
was purchased with a grant from the WA state Housing Commission.  One
of the original members spent a month learning about and writing the
grant.  The funding for the home construction came from a local banks
affordablilty programs. SInce they owned the land, the bank was happy
to give them mortgages.

I attended a funding seminar about a year ago where several groups
doing low income housing and several banks came and shared info.  The
key message they all brought is that there is a large amount of
programs available, many options and many ways to solve problems.  Many
of the federal programs have bright and eager young clerks who really
want to help you.

The draw back to many, if not all the programs, is that you have to do
an enormous amount of documentation on income levels and that most have
income caps.

I heard awhile back that a group in California sold their project to
Habitat for Humanity who then took over all the paperwork for them.
Again the income caps were a problem but many of the group were
teachers who qualified.

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network