Re: Desirability of proximity to Common Hous
From: Deborah Behrens (debbehAuto-trol.COM)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 94 18:12 CDT
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 94 17:42 CDT
> From: NEVETS2 [at] aol.com
> Subject: Re: Desirability of proximity to Common Hous
>
> Perception is the main thing, but just know these facts
>
> 400 feet is .075 miles.  It takes about 15 minutes to walk a mile at a nice
> steady pace.  It takes 1 minute 10 seconds to walk 400 feet at the same pace.
>  It may look and feel like a "long way" to some.  It may be very inconvenient
> to have to run back & forth a lot with over a minute each way.  But
> otherwise, 400 feet is close.

It's ALOT further in the winter, especially in New England, and other
northerly sites, where winter is a large fraction of the year.
Weather's not nearly the problem here in the Denver area,
except occasional days.
Other parts of the country it may also not be a problem, but I would
agree that proximity would be VERY desirable in the more wintery areas.

But we're not in our community yet, so I can't give specific info on our
experiences yet.

Is it not a viable option to center EcoVillage's common house somewhere
in the middle of the development?

                            ~___~
                            (0 0)
 |  Debbie Behrens              debbeh [at] auto-trol.com   (303)252-2215 |
 |  Highline Crossing CoHousing                        (303)457-4184 |