Re: Controversy over attached garages
From: Hungerford, David (dghungerforducdavis.edu)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 12:01 CDT
Garages are used by most people for many things other than parking cars or
providing workshop space.  Before you give up the space/uses a garage
provides, then make sure those needs are met in some other way(e.g. where
will your dog hang out during the rainy season? will their be common space
for storing the third seat out of your mini-van?  where are you going to put
the 1986 financial records?, or that bike your toddler will grow into when
they're 9 (answer, get rid of it a buy another one in a few years . . . a
real environmentally sound solution.)  Are you willing to look at everybody
elses junk hanging around their back yards (your stuff is junk and my junk is
stuff.)

For those in the "I hate cars so I their garages, too" camp:  Are you
absolutely sure that not allowing someone to have a garage is going to
contribute to a reduction in the amount of driving that person does?  Are
they going to be better neighbors, or more sociable, because they have to
haul their groceries and screaming two-year-old through the snow in a Radio
Flyer?  Is it okay for your moral position to be imposed on someone else?

David Hungerford
living in Muir Commons without a garage for three years now
dghungerford [at] ucdavis.edu