Written rules
From: Gareth (vanillainfo-gw.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 22:50 CDT
I would like to add another perspective to what Rob and Jean and others
are saying.  I  have been involved with a cohousing group in Atlanta for
several months now, which intends to buy and develop a certain piece of
property to create a 12-unit cohousing community.  the group is currently
at a crisis point, i think every member would agree.  at our last meeting
we had a member withdraw and I am close to withdrawing.  the two of us
are the only two new members to join in the past 6 months.  (a couple who
seemed interested and have been participating have also announced just
recently they almost surely won't join.)

the issue that above all has caused Patricia to withdraw and me to be on
the brink, has to do with written documents.  the group formed as a
General Partnership under the laws of Georgia.  the partnership agreement
that everyone initially signed was very open-ended and powerful.   it
virtually allows the group to do anything and to incur any debt, for with
which each partner has UNLIMITED LIABILITY.  the agreement does spell out
in detail 4 alternate procedures for decision making, although even these
are sometimes ambiguous in sometimes vital ways.  the agreement does not
say that partners will actually live in the Cohousing development, nor
specify that they will get their choice of unit.  Basically it's an
agreement that worked for the people who banded together very early on,
given who they were and what stage they were at.  The agreement does not
work for Patricia and me.

When we both joined -- we didn't even know each other, but became friends
quickly -- we independently concluded that we would need a revised
version of the partnership agreement in order to join as limited
partners.  I consulted with a lawyer who drafted a "Supplemental
Agreement" that allowed me to sign the main document as well as 2 extra
pages containing the additional conditions.

When we were initially joining the group, we did not receive the
"thorough newcomer orientation" that has been referred to here in several
posts.  Well, we certainly got plenty of pep talks and assurances, but as
it later turned out, we were each told things that we wanted to hear, at
different times by different people, and we were told that the group
would accept the Supplemental Agreement, when in fact the group never
did.   This issue has been simmering for several weeks now -- it's been a
few months, I somehow don't want to count exactly how long it has been
becasue it would bum me out.  We have two members who are currently
blocking consensus on the agreement, although they never spoke up until
the last minute after a cycle of discussion and revision and payment of
the lawyer.  It turns out that these members feel that it is not right fr
for new members to join on a basis that is different from the way the
original group came together.  they insist that if everyone is not on an
equal basis, the project is not acceptable.

One thing I pointed out is that Patricia has substantial assets and is
closer to retirement age than the rest of us, who are virtually all
pretty broke.  Therefore insisting that she take an "equal risk" in
theory, actually requires her to take a greater risk.  If anyone should
be allowed to be a limited partner then she should.  No dice.

We have gone round and round with endless explanations to the point that
in our last meeting, I said that there is no more sense in explaining.
People have had every opportunity to learn and understand the situation.
There is a basic resistance here that is not going to be solved by
explaining for the 15-th time what's the nature of a General Partnership
under law, what "liability" is, etc.

Strangely enough, some who resist the admission of new members as limited
partners (not all are blocking consensus, but several just don't like the
idea) keep repeating 2 contradictory things:  (1) It doesn't matter
whether a partner has limited or unlimited liability, because the
Partnership entity is never going to incur significant liability.  (2) It
matters a lot -- just because it feels like it matters.

I am just by now very angry, tired and fed up with this whole thing.  To
me the struggle and lack of resolution over the Partnership Agreement
issue is just one example in a pattern of group dynamics.  The group is
not able to make promises that it can deliver on, because of the lack of
coherent, clearly understood, shared information about the project -- in
written form -- and a lack of willingness to take action on difficult
practical decisions involving money and paperwork.  As a result the group
is not able to bring in new members, which it needs in order to get its
project built.

If i have any advice or lessons for other groups it would be, do pay
attention to the paperwork and make an effort to get some written
material (aside from long and wordy legal documents) that you can give to
prospective and new members, to give them a briefing on what the group is
working to achieve; how it makes decisions; spell out what is known and
what isn't yet known about prices per unit, etc.   It doesn't have to be
long and elaborate or even in complete sentences.  It does need to be
true!! and agreed upon by all the current group members.

I would also say, do not discount the possibility that someone might sue
you or that you could get in a legal jam.  The level of anger and
intransigence in our group right now is just the perfect breeding ground
for some unpleasantness of that kind.  And this is a group where the
guiding philosophy was "we all trust each other so we will leave
ourselves open to mutual risk."  A group where, unfortunately, taking a
close look at procedures and questioning, and suggesting improovements
for greater accountablity and legal protection --- has been resented and
called destructive.

Sorry for the long post.
 Gareth Fenley
 Atlanta, Georgia

Information Gateway - Public Access Usenet and Email - +1 404-928-7873
Please reply to:  vanilla [at] info-gw.com, vanilla [at] info-gw.atl.ga.us
                  vanilla [at] info-gw.lib-org.lib.org