Re: Cohousing and local activism
From: David Thomasson (dthomassccs.carleton.ca)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 09:22 CDT

> On Fri, 19 Aug 1994, Rob Sandelin wrote:
>
> ..
> > Margaret Mead once said something like:  "Never doubt that a small
> > handful of dedicated, committed people can change the world, indeed,
> > it's the only thing that ever has."
> >

> > Rob Sandelin
> > Sharingwood Cohousing.
> >
> Alvin Toffler (PowerShift, The Third Wave, etc.) seems to concur!!  As
> our future unfolds, in theory, single people will, because of the
> increasing chotic nature of change in the world and because of the
> increasing powers of media, be much more able to leverage global change.
>
> Just thought I'd add my (stolen) 2 cents worth.
>
>                                       -- Mark Ottenberg
>                                          Future Cohouser.

Interesting, most of my activism for the last few years has been
spontaneous
solo shit disturbing with my knowledge of how to draw media attention
to a story very much a part of it all. Last fall I had the head of
security for my campus called up on the main morning radio show and
made to look incompetant because of inadequate external lighting and
emergency phones on our very large, very wooded campus. It was all
because I know how to write a press release and hence my letter to the
editor of the local alternative paper got picked up by the local CBC
radio station ( CBC is Canada's
national radio network). Leveraging the media is actually very easy
provided you are able to provide them something that is newsworthy,
something with a hook. In my case I discovered all the problems
because I was attacked by rabid raccoons, made a great hook for the
story.

Dave

dthomass [at] ccs.carleton.ca