Re: cohousing-L = Problem solving
From: Deborah Behrens (debbehAuto-trol.COM)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 18:39 CDT
> Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 13:38 CDT
> From: Judy <BAXTER%EPIHUB [at] VX.CIS.UMN.EDU>
> Subject: cohousing-L = Problem solving
>
> I was just talking to Monika Stumpf about the article in the Denver Post -
> ...  But she says it focusses a lot on problems
>
> ...  But it does give a very biased view of cohousing - we don't
> spend a lot of time repeating the joys, the benefits, the reasons why we do
> this.  So for a newcomer, or a reporter, it is very unbalanced.  Does anyone
> but me think it would be useful to put some such disclaimer in the stuff that
> goes to new subscribers?  And/or post it frequently  (now that we are on
> Gopher?)
>
> Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)

The Denver Post articles did focus on more of the negatives than the positives,
tho they brought up some valid points - financing and lack of ethnic diversity.
The author did seem to totally misunderstand the concepts of sharing work -
cooking group meals and community work parties aren't externally imposed tasks,
but are willingly shared responsibilities.
Also, cohousing is not an attempt to return to a fantasy 50's era - or is it???

The Washington Post had an excellent article by Susan Cohen on July 31, 1984 -
or maybe I just think it's excellent because it's very positive, while
including the downs as well as the ups in the process of getting to community.

I like Judy's thoughts about discussing some of the positive aspects during
list conversations.  And putting disclaimers in the list once in a while...
Mostly we're conversing here to problem solve, brain storm, etc,
so of course most of what we see are the negatives and the problem spots.
But being able to get together this way and air our different points of view
and experiences is a positive part of the cohousing experience in itself.

Looking forward to meeting all of you in Boulder at the Conference...

                            ~___~
                            (0 0)
 |  Debbie Behrens              debbeh [at] auto-trol.com   (303)252-2215 |
 |  Highline Crossing CoHousing                        (303)457-4184 |