Affordability -- a new leaf
From: mtracy (mtracynetcom.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 94 20:56 CDT
Thanks to all for your interest!

Nancy Wight writes:
>You must have read the book "Your Money or Your Life" ;-)

Bingo!  <Your Money or Your Life> by Dominguez and Robin, Penguin Books,
1992.  (Not to be confused with a current book by the same title about health
care.)  The authors have very nice things to say about cohousing.

Ok, let's compare our current housing costs to the option of living in
cohousing.  We live an a fairly ordinary street, with neighbors about ten
feet away on either side, about 6 houses per acre.  Our housing density is
comparable to cohousing density.  We have roughly the same cost of land and
construction.  If we were living in cohousing, these houses would be
clustered in about one quarter of our property.  About one quarter would go
to parking lot and roads, one quarter to common house and grounds, and one
quarter to woods, orchards, playing field.  In short, we would be buying into
<three> or <four> times as much land as we live on now.  In addition, we
would be paying our share of construction of the common facilities.

On the other hand, buying and subdividing land can greatly reduce its price.
In Claremont, we are looking at several large sites which, subdivided,
would cost about $30,000 per household.  One of them could be had as low as
$10,000.  The going price per individual lot in that neighborhood is about
$100,000.  Also, constructing several identical units at the same time can
result in about 10% savings (maximum).

So is it cheaper or more expensive to buy into cohousing?  From <Places Rated
Almanac: 1993>

Boulder, Colorado: average housing cost: $122,900.
Denver, Colorado: average housing cost: $101,400.
Nyland cohousing unit for sale in nearby LaFayette: $200,000 approx.

Whoa!  You might say that cohousing is nicer to live in than conventional
housing, and that the units are <newer>, and I would agree with you on both
counts. But we are only talking about cost, at the moment.  (Just try and
find a forty-year old cohousing unit.)

To quote the almanac, "Step through the front door of the typical home, and
you'll find yourself in a detached structure that was built after 1970 and
has a single-level, 1,600 square-foot floor plan enclosing five rooms (three
bedrooms, one bath, a complete kitchen), no basement, and an insulated
attic."  The price for this typical home is about $80,000.  Based on a
15-year, 8-percent loan, 20 percent down payment, that's about $600/month.
So Stephanie Fassnacht's wish to find something for $100,000 is entirely
reasonable (but extremely difficult).

<This message is getting long.  I'll break it into small pieces so
those of you with nifty mail programs and no interest can skip right over
them. ;-)

--
Martin Tracy          mtracy [at] netcom.com          Los Angeles, CA