Volunteer to collect "good news"
From: Craig D. Willis (willic3rpi.edu)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 94 11:22 CDT
Judy Baxter (a while back) said:

>I know there is lots of positive stuff out there about cohousing - it's just
>that most of us doing the talking here are in the trenches, very committed to
>Coh., and dealing with the nitty-gritty how-to's.  And that means we focus on
>problems and get help on how to deal with them. But for you lurkers out there,
>it gives an unbalanced picture - which is what I am concerned about.  So -
>here's my idea (I did something similar on our bulleting board at Monterey -
>for purposes of morale - and I could bring that to this).
>
>How about somebody (not me ) volunteering to collect
>items/stories/pluses/anecdotes about the joys of living in cohousing.  (true
>stories please?  with at least a community, preferably a name, attached). I
>would expect, by the way, that most will be things that we have all had to
>some degree without cohousing.  I would assume ITEMS WOULD BE COLLECTED BY
>INDIVIDUAL E-MAIL ADDRESS, AND NOT CLUTTER UP THE LIST.
>
>Then maybe once every ?? (2 wks) the volunteer could post either the
>collection to date, or if it gets too long, an update.  That would mean that
>those who read by Gopher and don't read the intro would get to see it.
>And post a reminder asking for items.

If other people think that is a good idea, I would be happy to
volunteer for this task.  Please email me your "tidbits" and if I get
enough to make a decent posting then I'll consider that enough
interest to justify putting the info together (in some form or
another) and posting it.  I also have a "veiled" interest in doing
this as the Albany, NY cohousing group is having an "informational"
meeting on October 6th (7-9 pm at the Albany Public library) and there
is a desire, for this meeting, to try to get newcomers interested in
the idea of cohousing, not by inundating them with multitudinous
stories detailing the pain and suffering involved in getting a
cohousing group off the ground, but by enticing them with real-life
stories (from people who know whereof they speak) regarding what the
*payoff* is.  So much of the early focus is on the difficulties of the
process, but its the living together afterwards that is the reason for
doing it (yes, the process itself is certainly the penultimate test of
whether you *can* live together with this bunch).  So, if I receive
some good input, and with your permission, I have it in mind to use
some of the information that I collect in this way also.

Craig Willis
willic3 [at] rpi.edu
518-477-4406