Re: sharing of processions in cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 94 18:29 CDT
One very big advantage of cohousing is that by sharing processions we
set up patterns of behavior which can spread to a larger circle. I own
a chop saw which was a hand-me down from my father in law.  All my
cohousing neighbors use it whenever they want.  Since I freely loan it
out to my cohousing neighbors, I also freely loan it out to my
non-cohousing neighbors.

One of my non-cohousing neighbors who borrowed my chop saw came and did
some work for one of my neighbors using his small bulldozer. My wife
shared some plants with his wife, who has offered to take our kids for
an evening. The non-cohousing neighbors later came and enjoyed
community dinner, and shared in our culture. This spread to yet another
non-cohousing neighbor who borrowed my chop saw and delivered a bucket
of apples the other day. Both these non-cohousing neighbors have
offered to help on a future project.   The circle of sharing is
growing, past the boundaries of the community.

Sharingwood as a group owns a nice chipper/shredder.  The concept of
co-ownership which we modeled at our open house has spread and now
three non-cohousing neighbors have jointly bought a riding lawn mower.
They credit us for the "idea".

Although as a community Sharingwood is just tentatively getting its
feet wet it co-ownership and sharing of processions, what little we do
is a model for others.  I find this to be very cool and it shows to me
that the values we learn in kindergarten of sharing, helping each
other, and working together can be reapplied successfully to any
housing situation anywhere.  What is needed is a light to show the way.
Cohousing, because it is so close to mainstream, can be, and will be
and is, that light.

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network
Building a better society, one neighborhood at a time.